Debit and credit card are popular as two of cashless methods of payment many people use these days. Both cards have different way to use. In terms of credit card, you will have to pay the bills after you use the ‘virtual’ cash with a specific limit and fees attached to it. For debit cards, it’s pretty much the vice versa. It means you can use the card only if there is remaining balance attached to your debit card.
Both cards may assure their users for an easy payment and cashless methods. However, with fewer offers of promotional merchants, debit card is somehow less popular although it is pretty easy to use as well.
If you have just recently applied for HSBC debit card and you need to activate it, it’s no wonder that you may be confused how to activate HSBC debit card. The card is issued in inactive condition in order to ensure that the card is safe until it is activated by the true owner.
How to Activate HSBC Debit Card via Hotline Number
The only method to activate your HSBC debit card is by calling a specific hotline number. The hotline is specific for card activation and PIN purposes only. To activate your PIN-enabled debit card, follow the steps below:
- First, prepare your phone and ensure you still have balance left (if using prepaid number) to call the hotline.
- Call the HSBC hotline for card activation and PIN at +603 8321 8999.
- The hotline is ready to help you with card activation and PIN for 24 hours.
- Press 2 for debit card PIN.
- Enter your NRIC number (Malaysian) or passport number (foreigners) followed with the last 4-digit of your debit card number.
- Once you complete entering the numbers required, you will get a 6-digit one time code to complete your PIN creation. Simply enter the code and you will be able to use your debit card after you received a confirmation SMS.
Once you finish the above procedure, you can use the card for any purposes, be it for shopping, withdrawing money, to even paying bills. As you might have anticipated, in order finalizing your transactions, you will be required to input your PIN. Otherwise, you cannot proceed with the transaction.
You may also like: How to Register HSBC Online Banking
As mentioned in the HSBC’s official website, after your debit card is activated, for sure you will be able to use it for various purposes. But, always be aware to use it. Referring from the bank’s official website, you will need to:
- Keep your card in a safe and secure place
- Use it responsibly.
- Retrieve the card back after performing a certain transaction in self-service machine (ATM), retail outlets, or any self-service petrol pump.
- Notify the bank soon if your card is stolen or lost.
- Notify the bank soon if you received an SMS alerts informing you about unauthorized transactions.
- Keep the PIN and other card details away from third party’s acknowledgement.
Well, that’s how to activate HSBC debit card as well as some related information about the responsibility of a debit card owner. It’s highly advised to learn about it and make it into practice.